Sunday, January 17, 2016

with the perfect accessories, {she can change the world}

This may be the most popular post I'll ever put on this blog.

Many people have asked me where I find the headwrap hair bows that I put on my baby most every day. I've got to tell you they are RIDICULOUSLY simple, RIDICULOUSLY inexpensive, and UNBELIEVABLY adorable! Here's the story of where they came from and how you can make them yourself:

When we found out we were having a baby girl I couldn't have been more excited, dreaming up all the adorable little outfits and hair bows to dress her in. I started looking for the perfect accessories for all the sweet little outfits we were getting, but couldn't find what I had in mind.

Shortly before she was born, I was told that I was being put on bedrest. {For those of you who know me know that this was probably the worst thing that could have happened because I'm TERRIBLE at sitting still!} Anyway, I needed something to occupy my time, so I sent my loving and patient husband to Hobby Lobby with specific instructions to buy me some fabric so I could spend my time on the couch attempting to make the hair bows that I had envisioned but had been unable to find.

Equipped with my sewing kit, a stuffed elephant model, a cup of decaf coffee, and Netflix, I began my days of bedrest. Luckily, I discovered these were very simple because my bedrest didn't last long and my healthy and happy baby girl was here to wear them!

Here's the how to for the 2 that I've had the most comments/questions about:


All you need for each of these styles are:

  • 1/8 yd of a knit fabric in whatever color/pattern you like
  • fabric scissors
  • needle & thread
The first one is the head wrap bow as shown below:

First, cut a strip of the fabric 2" wide, and twice the length needed to wrap around the baby's head, plus a couple extra inches for the bow. {the bigger, the better :)}

Next, cut a slit in the fabric. {if you want the bow tied in the middle, the slit should be halfway through, if you want the bow on the side, as shown above, the slit should be about 1/3 way from the end}

Next, loop the fabric around, feeding the end through the slit, and back around to the front.

Lastly, tie the ends into whichever size bow you'd like and trim any extra fabric from the ends. 
SUPER EASY and NO SEWING NEEDED!

The 2nd one is the turban knot headband:
WARNING: this one requires sewing, but it's MINIMAL and it's basically sewing for dummies- you'll be fine! :)

First, cut a strip of fabric about 2 inches (3 inches for an older child) wide and twice the length needed to go around the baby's head twice.

Next, sew the ends together. {I hand stitched mine. As long as your sewing is on the inside it doesn't have to be perfect- no one will ever know!}

Last, once it's sewn, lay flat in the circle, twist the middle twice {as shown above} and loop it back on itself to make the turban knot.

These are basic steps to make simple headbands and there are literally THOUSANDS of variations you can do on these. I told you all they were simple! I hope you have as much fun making them as I did! I am still making them for Hattie so if you decide to make a variation, please send me a picture! I'd love to see your own style of them!

*note: I'd recommend pre-washing your fabrics, and find the softest knit fabrics you can find, so they will be the most comfortable they can be for your little princess!




No comments:

Post a Comment